Thursday, June 14, 2012

The fuze is short

Song of the Day: Metallica, "St. Anger" Bob Mould, "Underneath Days"

I am writing the introduction to my dissertation. It's the last goddamn thing I have to do before I sort out the bibliography and prepare the whole thing for the committee. That's the price I paid for getting only a year to write a dissertation that, when bibliography and introduction are complete, I predict will weigh in at about 475 pages.

It took me about 7 months, roughly speaking, to write my monograph at SAMS. That was about 15,000 words. The dissertation is about 10 times the size of my monograph and it has been written in 11 months.

I realize my fuze is pretty short when I have to explain to people what I want on the phone (trying to get something fixed) and they are not explaining what I am telling them about their own fucking website. That's 15 minutes of my life I'm never getting back, but it's another 30 minutes of trying to orient on writing and not feel like I want to shoot people in the head, which is the hidden cost of small distractions. Some of it could be that I get my most productive work done on this when I don't have to fucking talk to anybody or be around anyone until I get this goddamn dissertation complete. Jesus fucking airborne christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment