Sunday, April 20, 2008

6.2mi, 49:53, 20 APR 08, As Sayliyah, Qatar

Day 69 of the campaign.

iThink: The Cure, "A Forest"

WX at 2000: 82 (28) DP 51 (11) BP 29.77 (1008) SE 6 widespread dust RH 34

Odometer 2: 84.6mi

Z4.

This doesn't factor in a slow easy run I did two days ago which I forgot to log. My legs are still tired, if today was any indicator, but I didn't realize it was over 80 degrees until I checked the weather.

I was somewhat dismayed that I wasn't running as fast as I thought I was...until I realized I'd cut a respectable negative split when I did my second lap.

Then...I was witness to some particularly bad small-mindedness tonight. I was at the bar here at As Sayliyah tonight with a Navy Reserve commander who kept asserting that "you don't know shit." I tend to be a pretty tolerant guy most of the time, but I don't suffer fools too well. I may have been a little curt in my response of "okay, sir, whatever," but if someone feels compelled to pull rank off duty because he feels insecure and someone junior to him by rank decided to publicly challenge his incorrect statements, it's an indicator that he really does feel like he has something to compensate for. Myself...I don't feel like I have to compensate for anything; I am who I am. I find it laughably sad, but I don't work for him, I don't need his approval for my own edification, and as I pointed out to some other folks who were witness to it...he effectively doesn't exist to me.

Some people might be a little surprised that I can write people off at the drop of a hat, but frankly, I don't need anything from him personally or professionally, so for all intents and purposes, he's dead to me. Some people think that's unkind, but it's not an overstatement to say that I honestly wouldn't care if he suffered death by misadventure - not that it's very likely in Qatar, of all places.

To quote the Intrepid Coworker, "it is what it is."

Splits
SGMT AGGRG SEGMT PERMI AVGPC DIST
3.10 25:08 25:08 08:06 08:06 3.10
3.10 49:53 24:45 07:59 08:03 6.20

1 comment:

  1. 10K in 49 minutes, I'd take that anywhere right now. Hang in there, at least you're consistent :-)

    ReplyDelete