Sunday, July 03, 2022

Dislocation

I was reminded of something tonight, being around places I used to live but no longer can call home. This is about something totally different, but the notion of the future opening like a black cone has something that resonated with me when I first read this book 25 years ago.

There was a bang from above him. Abbado thought for an instant that the SPs were shooting; then he saw a spark curving in the direction of the cops' flashing party hat. "What the fuck was that?" he demanded. 

Methie looked down from the cupola. "We got two anti-emitter missiles with the bus," he said. "I figured this was a good time to use one." 

The red light spun like a flipped coin and vanished from the sky. Abbado didn't see the flash of an explosion. He felt the future opening before him like a black cone: a complete absence of experience, stretching on forever. 

- David Drake, Redliners

 

I believe I will land on my feet, but getting to the future has been an exercise in just surviving sometimes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment