Sunday, September 05, 2004

approximate 9 miles, 71:46

Descendents, "My Dad Sucks"
Descendents, "Coolidge"
G.F. Handel, Alla Hornpipe from Water Music
Corrosion of Conformity, "What(?)"
Corrosion of Conformity, "Negative Outlook"

I have no idea what sparked my outbreak of Descendents songs!

Odometer 1: 64mi

WX at 0700 in Calabash NC: 72/23, DP 70/21, BP 30.05/?, winds N 5, RH 94%.
Overcast at start with clearing by the end.

Z3 throughout. Relatively steady-state run at the limit of oxygen debt with one hell of a kick at the end. I would conservatively estimate I was going about 7:00 or below in my last mile. Today's course was very flat, but I'm currently in the coastal plain, so that might have something to do with it. No hills equates to no drag going uphill, so today's run was going to be fast. Why I was able to kick with as much speed as I did at the end, I'm not sure. I think that energy would've been better spent up front since I only need those kind of finishing kicks at the end of races...and I haven't raced in a while.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the Descendents and Handel, together at long last...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can top that one.

    The summer immediately following graduation from high school had me driving a car that had a radio with a spotty tape deck. I got in the habit of putting a radio in the car that had a working tape deck (back then, as it is now, I thought radio sucks unless you have access to a good public radio station or indie station).

    I was playing a mix tape populated mostly by Corrosion of Conformity. Somewhere along the line, while I was on the interstate coming off an onramp going over 60mph, I bumped the selector switch and was suddenly listening to the Shamrock and Thistle radio show on NPR.

    There is something very disconcerting in going from one extreme to another. The hardcore-classical incongruity is milder than that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, game set and match!

    ReplyDelete