Sunday, October 19, 2008

A personal reminder

Sometimes we have to leave people behind so that we can go on. So that we can continue to fight. Sometimes we have to do things that we never thought we were capable of, if only to show the enemy our will...

...When you can be this for as long as you have to be, then you're a razor. This war is forcing us all to become razors.

Because if we don't, we don't survive. And then we don't have the luxury of becoming simply human again.

I saw Battlestar Galactica: Razor as I was writing a campaign plan last year. I found that remarkably evocative for what I was about to do as a strategic planner. I'm about to go back to theater soon, and have been asked to come back with my head screwed on tight. And it will be. But I wonder whether I can live with being around people for whom the Long War is not a reality.

I say this because I've had a hard time adjusting back to life back at home, even for a short time, when I'm starting to think I need to be back, because my work is not done yet. I came to peace with being a razor a while ago - but also recognize that it can be corrosively unhealthy for my relationships outside the combat zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment